Purulia is a district in the state of West Bengal in India, known for its natural beauty, historical monuments, and cultural heritage. The district is situated on the western side of West Bengal and shares its borders with Jharkhand and Odisha. The terrain of Purulia is predominantly hilly, with several rivers and waterfalls adding to its charm. The district is also known for its unique tribal culture, and visitors can experience the local customs and traditions during their visit.
How to Visit Purulia:
Purulia is well-connected by road and rail, making it easily accessible from major cities in West Bengal and neighboring states. The nearest airport is in Ranchi, Jharkhand, which is around 100 km from Purulia. From Ranchi, one can hire a taxi or take a bus to reach Purulia. The district is also well-connected by rail, and several trains run between Purulia and Kolkata, the capital city of West Bengal. Buses and private taxis are also available from nearby cities like Asansol, Durgapur, and Kolkata.
When to Visit Purulia:
The best time to visit Purulia is from October to March when the weather is pleasant and conducive for outdoor activities. The temperature during this time ranges between 10°C and 25°C, making it an ideal time to explore the natural beauty of the district. The monsoon season, from June to September, is also a good time to visit Purulia as the waterfalls and rivers are in full flow, but it is advisable to be careful during this time due to the risk of landslides and flooding.
What to Do in Purulia:
- Visit the Ancient Temples: Purulia is home to several ancient temples that are worth a visit, such as the Joychandi Pahar temple, Shyamrai Temple, and the Charida Village Temple.
- Explore the Natural Beauty: Purulia is known for its natural beauty, and visitors can explore several places such as the Matha and Turga falls, Saheb Bandh, Ajodhya Hills, and Panchet Dam.
- Experience the Tribal Culture: The district has a rich tribal culture, and visitors can experience the local customs and traditions by visiting tribal villages like Baghmundi and Barabhum.
- Attend the Chhau Dance Festival: Chhau is a traditional dance form of the district, and the Chhau Dance Festival, held in March-April, is a must-attend event for anyone interested in local culture.
Main Attractions in Purulia:
- Ajodhya Hills: A picturesque hill station known for its natural beauty and trekking trails.
- Saheb Bandh: A popular picnic spot with a lake and boating facilities.
- Joychandi Pahar: A historical site with ancient ruins and a temple dedicated to Goddess Kali.
- Panchet Dam: A massive dam with a scenic view and boating facilities.
- Charida Village: A village known for its traditional mask-making and terracotta craft.
Ajodhya Hills : It is a scenic hill station located in the Purulia district of West Bengal. This picturesque destination is a paradise for nature lovers, adventure seekers, and photographers. The hills are surrounded by lush green forests, rolling meadows, and cascading waterfalls, making it an ideal place for trekking, hiking, and camping. Visitors can also indulge in activities like rock climbing, rappelling, and bird watching. The hill station is home to several species of birds, including the rare Himalayan griffon, making it a haven for bird lovers. The highest peak in the hills is the Gorgaburu Hill, which offers a stunning panoramic view of the surrounding valleys and forests. The Ajodhya Hills are also home to several tribal villages, where visitors can experience the local culture and traditions. Overall, Ajodhya Hills is a must-visit destination for anyone visiting Purulia, offering a perfect blend of adventure, nature, and culture.
Saheb Bandh: It is a popular tourist destination located in the Purulia district of West Bengal. It is a beautiful man-made lake surrounded by hills and forests. The lake was created by damming the Kangsabati river, and it is a popular spot for boating and picnicking. Visitors can enjoy a leisurely boat ride across the serene waters of the lake and take in the beautiful views of the surrounding hills and forests. There are also several small islands within the lake, which are perfect for a quiet picnic or a peaceful walk. The area around the lake is rich in biodiversity, and visitors can spot several species of birds and animals. The nearby Saheb Bandh forest is also a popular spot for trekking and hiking. Overall, Saheb Bandh is a must-visit destination for anyone visiting Purulia, offering a perfect blend of natural beauty, adventure, and tranquility.
Joychandi Pahar: It is a popular tourist destination located in the Purulia district of West Bengal. It is a hill located at a distance of about 30 km from the town of Purulia. The hill is known for its natural beauty, adventure activities, and ancient temple. The hill is surrounded by dense forests, waterfalls, and streams, making it a perfect destination for nature lovers. Visitors can go on a trekking or hiking expedition to explore the surrounding areas. The Joychandi Pahar temple, located on top of the hill, is a famous ancient temple dedicated to Goddess Kali. The temple is visited by thousands of devotees during the annual Joychandi Mela festival. The hill also offers several adventure activities like rock climbing and rappelling, which are organized by local adventure clubs. Overall, Joychandi Pahar is a must-visit destination for anyone visiting Purulia, offering a perfect blend of nature, adventure, and spirituality.
Panchet Dam: It is a popular tourist destination located in the Purulia district of West Bengal. It is a man-made reservoir built across the Damodar River, and it is surrounded by scenic hills and forests. The dam is a major source of water and electricity for the region. The area around the dam is a popular spot for picnicking, boating, and fishing. The Panchet Hill, located near the dam, offers a stunning view of the surrounding hills and the dam. There are several resorts and lodges near the dam that offer comfortable accommodation for visitors. Overall, Panchet Dam is a must-visit destination for anyone visiting Purulia, offering a perfect blend of natural beauty and recreation.
Local Transport in Purulia:
Local transport in Purulia mainly consists of buses and taxis. Private taxis are easily available for hire, and visitors can negotiate the fare with the driver. Buses run between major towns and villages in the district, and the fare is usually very reasonable. However, the buses can be crowded, and it may be more comfortable to hire a taxi for long-distance travel.
Accomodation with Contacts in Purulia:
- Hotel Akashdeep: This hotel is located in the heart of Purulia town and offers clean and comfortable rooms. The room rates start from INR 800 per night. Contact: +91 9932448181
- Hotel Utsav Plaza: This hotel is located near the Purulia railway station and offers well-furnished rooms with modern amenities. The room rates start from INR 1500 per night. Contact: +91 7001215337
- Hotel Hill View: This hotel is located in the Ajodhya Hills and offers a scenic view of the surrounding hills. The room rates start from INR 2000 per night. Contact: +91 9332683183
- Panchet Residency: This resort is located near the Panchet Dam and offers comfortable rooms and cottages. The room rates start from INR 2500 per night. Contact: +91 8967162841
- Joychandi Pahar Tourist Lodge: This lodge is located near the Joychandi Pahar temple and offers basic accommodation. The room rates start from INR 500 per night. Contact: +91 9434061173
Note that the rates may vary depending on the season and availability, and it is always advisable to confirm the rates and availability before making a booking.